What Does 925 Mean on Jewelry - Featured Image

What Does 925 Mean on Jewelry? +5 Essential FAQs Answered

by Milos Djordjevic

What does 925 mean on jewelry? Are there regulations that require jewelry companies to place certain markings on their accessories? What do those markings mean for you as a regular consumer? If you’ve been wondering about the 925 stamps on your jewelry, you’ve come to the right place! Read on to find out everything about the meaning of the stamp.

What Is 925 on Jewelry?

925 is a marking that shows the purity of the material your jewelry is made of, expressed as a percentage when divided by 10. For example, a silver piece with the 925 stamp is made out of 92.5% pure silver. 

Many countries around the globe regulate the stamps, requiring jewelry companies to demonstrate the quality of their products. While the United States is not one of them, many brands opt for marking their jewelry, as it shows that their accessories are made from precious, high-quality materials.

1. What Does Sterling Silver Mean?

Sterling silver is an alloy of silver. That means that it’s not made out of pure metal, but is a mixture of silver and other chemical elements. Sterling silver is one of the most common types of silver you can find in jewelry. It’s really easy to work with, and it’s not ridiculously expensive, which makes it the perfect choice of material in the jewelry industry.

2. Is Sterling Silver Real?

Yes, sterling silver is real silver! While it’s not the purest form of silver available on the market, it definitely is a form of silver, and it’s a high-quality material. Sterling silver is a mixture of silver and mostly copper.

People who are not that familiar with the silver 925 meaning and how jewelry design works often discard the option of sterling silver, as they deem the material much less durable. However, many experts claim that the mixture of different materials in sterling silver actually makes it harder and more durable. In sum, sterling silver is real silver and a durable, high-quality option that will last you a long time if you take care of it properly.

3. What Does 925 Mean on a Ring?

The 925 marking on jewelry means that the piece is made from sterling silver. Thus, it’s not the purest form of metal and contains other materials. Still, the percentage of silver in it is extremely high: 92.5%. The remaining 7.5% are other metals, mostly copper. Many countries require jewelry companies to place stamps like these on their products, which is why you’re seeing it on your ring.

What Does 925 Mean on Jewelry - Explanation graph

4. Is 925 Sterling Silver Good Quality?

Yes, 925 sterling silver is high-quality silver and jewelry with this marking is durable and a good investment. It’s the most popular type of silver out there, as copper and other materials in it allow it to be shaped into different jewelry designs. Pure silver is difficult to work with and a little more unpredictable. Therefore, the 925 type is a much better choice for the accessories industry.

Now that you’re familiar with the meaning and durability of sterling silver, it’s time to mention its downside—it can be prone to corrosion. That’s why it’s vital to clean your jewels regularly and properly, especially if you live in a more humid area.

5. Is 925 Real Silver?

We’ve already established that 925 is a marking for sterling silver. Sterling silver is a genuine form of silver and it can be a better option than fine silver, as it’s far more durable. If you see a 999 marking on your jewelry, that means your accessory is made out of fine silver with 99.9% purity of the metal.

Another way many countries differentiate between these two types is by using letter stamps. The “FS” stamp means that the jewelry is made from fine silver. On the other hand, the “SS” marking shows that the accessory is sterling silver.

925 Meaning: Final Thoughts

Sterling silver is a genuine type of silver and a reliable choice for jewelry. It contains metals aside from silver that make it more durable and easier to work with. On the other hand, sterling silver could be more prone to corrosion, which is why it’s essential that you clean it regularly.