Working at Walmart is a great way to make some extra money. You can work flexible hours and get discounts on merchandise. You can also meet people and learn new skills. So how old do you have to be to work at Walmart?
The answer may surprise you! Keep reading to find out more.
How Old Should I Be to Work at Walmart
1. How to Get a Job at Walmart
Getting a job at Walmart can seem difficult, but there are many ways you can increase your chances:
- Apply to every store in your area—If you’re willing to commute, consider some stores further away.
- Be available—Less-qualified workers often get a position over better-qualified ones just because they can work anytime and any day.
- Apply for different positions—It’s best to have options and increase your chances of getting any job at Walmart. Once you’re in, you might be able to transfer.
- Focus on the assessment test—It’s crucial that you do well on this 65-multiple-question test because it will place you either in “Tier 1” or “Tier 2.” To land in the first group, always choose either “strongly agree” or “strongly disagree” and avoid neutral answers.
- Prepare for the interview—Walmart interviews only three people for one position. So if they choose you, you’ll want to be prepared. Go through the standard HR questions and come up with answers. But don’t learn them by heart, because you won’t sound genuine.
2. How to Apply to Walmart
You can find the application you need to fill out to apply for a job at Walmart here. It takes about 45 to 60 minutes to finish. There’s no need to upload your resume, because you’ll be asked questions about your previous experience and education.
The application ends with multiple-choice questions about your opinions on how you should behave in the workplace, towards your colleagues, and similar.
Once you send it in, your application will be in the system for 60 days. You can reapply for another position if you don’t pass the interview the first time.
3. Can You Work at Walmart at 15?
The minimum Walmart hiring age is 16. However, some positions may require you to be 18 years old or older. For example, jobs in the loss prevention department may require you to be 21 years old or older.
4. How Old Do You Have to Be to Work as a Cashier at Walmart?
The Walmart age requirement to work as a cashier is 16. But if you’re working after 11 PM, you must be 18 or older. For both, you mustn’t have a criminal record.
5. How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at a Walmart Warehouse?
The age requirement for Walmart Warehouse is 18 or older. Also, you have to pass a criminal background check.
6. What Part-Time Jobs Are Available for Walmart Employees?
Some of Walmart’s most popular part-time jobs are cashiers, sales associates, stockers, unloaders, and fuel station workers. The hiring age for all Walmart positions is at least 16 years old.
7. How Much Does Walmart Pay 16-Year-Olds?
Walmart pays its 16-year-old employees between $12 and $14 per hour on average. The pay rate may differ depending on the position and the state you work in. Many Walmart jobs for 16-year-olds are a good way to earn some money.
8. What's the Starting Wage at Walmart?
The starting wage at Walmart is $12 per hour, which is above the US minimum wage of $7.25. Keep in mind that this wage is still lower than the $15 per hour offered by Amazon and Target. That said, your pay at Walmart should rise the longer you’re working and the higher your position gets.
9. Is Walmart a Good First Job?
You can find some of the best first and teen jobs at Walmart. Firstly, it’s a great way to get some work experience. Secondly, you can learn many new things and develop different skill sets. For example, you’ll learn how to handle cash, credit cards, and other forms of payment. Thirdly, Walmart offers great opportunities for advancement. Lastly, the pay is decent.
Walmart Hiring Age: Final Thoughts
Working at Walmart is a great way to start your career. You’ll gain valuable work experience, learn new things, and have the opportunity to advance in the company. The pay is also decent, especially for entry-level positions.
So if you’re at least 16 years old and looking for a job, Walmart is a great option.